Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) reported today that the consolidated dollar value of airline tickets sold by U.S.-based travel agencies increased 7.7 percent in February as compared to 2017, totaling $8.1 billion vs. $7.5 billion. The number of passenger trips* settled by ARC for U.S. travel agencies also increased 4.6 percent to 23,972,268 compared to 22,917,575 in February 2017.
The average U.S. roundtrip ticket price* for February 2018 was $484, up $26 from January. Average February 2018 ticket prices are down approximately one percent compared to February 2017.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales in February 2018 comprised more than $6.5 million, a 4.8 percent decrease compared to February 2017. EMD transactions also decreased seven percent to 112,919 in February 2018 vs. 121,729 in 2017.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending February 28, 2018, from 12,072 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a roundtrip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.