Labor Day, the holiday meant to celebrate working people, is the time for America's workforce to make a decision that just might be good for their health according to a new study conducted byNielsen on behalf of Diamond Resorts International®, (NYSE: DRII), a global leader in the hospitality and vacation ownership industries. The study found that people who commit to taking vacations on a regular basis are generally happier, healthier and have better relationships than those who don't.
The study designated as "Vacation Integration Towards an All-inclusive Lifestyle" or VITAL, has become a key part of Diamond Resorts' message on Why Vacations Are Important.
The VITAL survey compared the happiness, health, vitality, relationships and job satisfaction of two groups of survey respondents: those who reported that they vacation at least once per year, and those who reported that they never vacation. More than 2,000 respondents aged 25 and older participated in the survey, which yielded compelling conclusions—a significant majority (at least 76%) of annual vacationers are more satisfied and happy with their lives overall, compared to people who never vacation. Also, a majority of respondents (52 %) didn't take all of their paid vacation days this past year, forfeiting an average of more than seven paid vacation days annually.
Dr. Dale Atkins, PhD and Diamond Resorts International® "Vacation Doctor," stated: "Diamond Resorts' study supports what I see in my practice every day. Vacations should not be considered a luxury – they are a must for our happiness and health in an increasingly stressful world."
Dr. Atkins identified the "Top 5 Reasons Vacations Are Essential" based on the survey results:
1) Vacations Can Make You Feel Sexier: 80% of people who vacation yearly report that "romance is alive in their relationship" compared to 56% who never take a vacation
2) Vacations Can Make You Feel Happier: 76% of yearly vacationers report feeling "happy" or "extremely happy" compared to just 43% of those who never take a vacation
3) Vacations Can Make You Feel Energized: 72% of yearly vacationers report feeling "energized and full of life all the time" compared to just 34% of those who never take a vacation
4) Vacations Can Make You Feel Better About Your Job: 71% of yearly vacationers report feeling "satisfied to very satisfied with their job" compared to just 46% of those who never take a vacation
5) Vacations Can Make You Feel Healthier: 56% of yearly vacationers describe their health as "very good" or "excellent" compared to 28% of those who never take a vacation
Other VITAL survey results include that while 85% report that their bosses are supportive of utilizing vacation time, 52% of the respondents still left 7.2 days of vacation time unused each year. It might surprise you, but among the pool of respondents currently in a relationship, 63% stated that their partner would prefer a trip over a material item for a gift.
"We all need to commit to taking our vacation days," said Diamond Resorts International® President and CEO David Palmer. "In areas of health, happiness, energy and relationships – all crucial elements of longevity – the percentages almost double in people who take vacations. At Diamond Resorts International®, we have always believed that vacations are a necessity for a happy, healthy, well-balanced life and we believe everyone should be viewing vacations that way. The survey we just completed supports our belief that regular, great vacations result in a better quality of life."
The survey was conducted online December 9-16, 2013 among General Population Consumers (n=2,068) which was representative of the total adult population 25 years and older, with an annual household income of at least $35K, balanced by key demographic indicators including age, gender and income. The margin of error for a sample of n=2,068 is +/- 2.2% at a 95% confidence level.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.