Travelers looking to maximize airfare savings this holiday season should book their flights in early October. Hipmunk has released its annual holiday airfare analysis, which reveals that booking flights for Thanksgiving the first week of October can save travelers up to 23 percent. For the Christmastime holiday, booking the week of October 15 can save travelers up to 25 percent.
"The holiday season is an expensive time of year to travel," said Adam Goldstein, CEO and co-founder of Hipmunk. "The best advice is to know when to book, to be flexible, and utilize tools that let you see your travel options side-by-side. For example, Hipmunk's Flex Dates feature allows you to search multiple departure and arrival dates simultaneously."
Hipmunk also found a number of other insider tips to cut costs this holiday season:
- Travel on the holiday itself
- Traveling on Thanksgiving Day can save up to 21 percent over the most expensive departure date, Thanksgiving Eve
- Flying on Christmas Day will save up to 20 percent over the most expensive departure date, Dec 21 (the Friday prior to the holiday)
- Tip: Hipmunk's Flex Dates feature allows travelers to search multiple departure and arrival dates
- Fly into an alternate airport
- Flying into an alternate airport for Thanksgiving can save up to 14 percent
- Flying into an alternate airport the week of Christmas can save up to 17 percent
- Tip: To search multiple airports on Hipmunk, simply insert a comma between airport codes
- Book basic economy instead of coach
- Save 13 percent on average for Thanksgiving flights this year
- Save 14 percent on average for flights at Christmastime
- Tip: Hipmunk allows travelers to compare fare classes directly in search results
- Stay in a vacation rental or private room instead of a hotel
- Thanksgiving travelers can save 10 percent on average by booking a vacation rental versus a hotel
- Save 7 percent on average during the week of Christmas
- Tip: Hipmunk displays vacation rental results in-line with hotels, so travelers can easily compare options within their search results
- Set a fare alert
- Thanksgiving travelers save an average of 6 percent by setting a fare alert
- Christmastime travelers save an average of 7 percent
- Tip: Travelers can use Hipmunk to set a fare alert that will track the price of their flight and alert them when the price drops
For more detail and methodology on the data analysis, visit the Hipmunk blog here.
Logos, product and company names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.